Tuesday 14 July 2009

1,2,3... Roll over!

Now that I have updated you on Eli's birth and shown you his gorgeous face, I felt it was only natural to tell you about how his first three months have been.

I have learnt a lot, so much that I didn't know, and so much that I thought I knew...

We brought him home on Monday night (April 20th). The first thing I noticed, walking through the hospital, was how damned hard it was to walk!! My stomach felt like it was going to give way to the entirety of my insides and they would fall out all over the floor any second. And although Eli wasn't "heavy", I felt like he weighed a ton. I was stuffed...

That first drive home was scary... I didn't know how he was going to like the ride or if he was going to scream the whole way home. Fortunately he handled it like a pro and the ride home was smooth and uneventful! That's my boy!

It was after that, the fun and games began. I don't remember how many times he woke up or how much sleep we got that night, but I remember being dead tired the following morning. I think he peed in the bed that night too... fun and games alright! But it wasn't long until he became comfortable sleeping in his bassinet.

About day 4 or 5, my milk came in - with a vengeance. My poor baby had wind and reflux all at once, and it took a day of him screaming to figure out all that was going on. We managed to nip it though with Brauer Stomach Calm and Infacol. These two things became my best friends, and I was sure to take them with me everywhere I went. I felt like I was drugging him, but it worked, and he became a different baby!

With that sorted, I got to enjoy my son more than most mothers do. He was cheerful and happy, and such a placid baby! He soon settled into a bit of a routine with sleeping and feeding, and began to love his bath times as well. I could safely say that the first 3 weeks - possibly even 4 weeks, were rather a blur, except for the big smiles he gave me.

At 5 weeks I received the first little giggle. That changes your world! It's like all the hard work you do to make them happy has paid off! You are indeed a good mum! :o) He giggled and smiled and made everyone fall in love with him.

Since then, he's been growing RAPIDLY, defining his personality and preferences, and continues to make people fall in love with him. His Nana - who he knows as Mimi - has showered him with gifts and love and electronic gadgets that are designed to distract and soothe (which he just loves). He is quite simply a joy to be around and easy to please, if you know what to listen for.

**BY THE WAY - Dunstan's Baby Language is INVALUABLE!! You MUST get a copy IMMEDIATELY! I have been able to read Eli's cries easily without stress. It's great!

So, now we're working on rolling over. He laughs gleefully when I help him flip onto his belly! It is really exciting seeing him learn and change, and I swear, if there is any thought in your mind about having a child - DO IT! There is no such thing as the "right" time, a baby will never trully be convenient, and yes they cost money - but that's what friends and family are for! DO IT!!!

OK, I think I've said enough for now...

:o) Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment