Saturday 16 January 2010

Sleep? What's that?

I don't know what's happened.  I gave birth to an angel.  Sure, he had some reflux - nothing too serious, some gas which upset him a little as well - but these only lasted 6 weeks or so.  After that, my little man slept for hours straight.  Had 3 good naps in a day.  Didn't wake me unless he was really in need.  I loved that baby.

Then teething "happened".  It ruined my baby for some time - about 4 months...  Until just recently (the last 2 months or so) in which time it seemed like my little angel from long ago had returned!  Systematically, we changed 3 naps to 2.. and he slept.  He slept anywhere from 5 to 8 hours every night.  This seemed like bliss.  Heaven.  I thought things were finally looking up for us.

Nope.  Not so.

Lately, the last week or two, the devil child has returned -- with a vengeance.  Eli wakes roughly every 2-4 hours each night, only sleeping longer if it truly suits him.  What I don't get is what I'm doing wrong!  Have I failed in some way, changed a vital technique, that has once again stuffed the sleeping patterns?  I can't figure it out.  He's not hungry - he's practically weaned himself, as he no longer looks for breast feeds during the day.  He might be thirsty, but doesn't want anything but milk.  He's not cold or hot.  I make sure of that.  He's not sick.  Not in pain (thanks to the odd Nurofen dosage here and there).  He's not naughty - at least, I don't think he is... And his nappy is not soiled.  WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME CHILD???

I lost the plot this morning.  I have never felt so much like throwing him down the stairs.

(Please note, that while I may have felt like it, I would NEVER do it...)


Anyway, so he'd woken up about 4 times overnight.  8.30pm, 10.30pm, 12.30am, 4.45am -- and then chose foolishly not to go back to sleep.  I literally took him down stairs, placed him in the centre of his play pen and walked away.  I would have been happy to leave him there too.  He was sobbing.  He knew he'd been banished.  Then my lovely mum - who has been staying with us this week helping me pack up the house - went down and saved him.  I was really upset.  Crying.  Hysterically swearing and sprouting off at this poor baby who started laughing at me.  No, scratch that.  Giggling.  It's hard not to love them when they giggle.  But when you're having a break down - it's hard not to choke them....

Needless to say, all is well again.  We actually had a fabulous day, Eli was great, and we got heaps done.  Partially thanks to my husband, who looked after Eli from 7am til 9am while mum and I caught up on our sleep.  A special mention also to my dad, who had a great time entertaining Eli in the garden for the afternoon.

I guess I've learned one thing from today.

Don't fight it.

Don't let the little things get the better of you.  Don't think you can control your baby - you can't.  Don't lose your cool and miss out on the enjoyment of parenthood.  Easier said than done... but easier to do than to regret.

I'll leave you with that thought, and I'm going to bed... in case Eli wakes up for the third time tonight...

:o)

A. xo

2 comments:

  1. My mom once threw a potato at me. She meant to miss me, but her aim was too good. I wasn't a baby though, more like somewhere between 5 and 7 years. I talked a whole lot as a kid and still do. The potato had no effect of my gift of gab :P

    Get some sleep lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha OUCH!! Potato to the head is a tad painful sounding!! Funny that she did it cos you talk too much... :oP

    I hope I can get some sleep tonight..... cross your fingers and toes for me!! :o)

    ReplyDelete