Tuesday 6 April 2010

One for me, one for you.

Last night I slept more soundly than I have in weeks.  I think I even heard Eli wake up, but can't be sure.  I've put that down to an oddly real dream...  I woke up this morning to Eli yelling out at me.. it was pretty clear he had been for a little while, I was just too soundly asleep to notice! Oops... hehe  He's fine though.  Always seems to make it through, despite my mismanagement of things occasionally.  


Currently, he's sitting at his highchair, watching "In The Night Garden", eating grapes.  Don't ask me why, but he LOVES grapes.  This love affair with the little green orb started while out shopping.  Mum grabs a tiny bunch of grapes still on the stems and he eats them while we do our groceries.  If he's a really good boy - which he always is - he gets a cheerio.  My husband hates that he gets a cheerio... says they're full of rubbish.  I agree, they are, but I figure that one a week isn't going to hurt him, when as a child I used to have them slightly more frequently than that.  I turned out alright... :o)


I used to be a complete nazi with the food Eli would eat.  I'm really not so much anymore.  He's decided he likes meat.  A lot.  He loves cold roast chicken, steak, lamb, roast pork, anything really.  Sausages he can take or leave, but bacon and eggs is one of his faves.  It's kinda bizarre... I would never have fed him meat. I would've made a little vego out of him.  That's only for health reasons, not because I feel that eating animals is inhumane.  If you think about it, it kinda is, but I tend not to think about it, so it doesn't bother me.  Another thing I was determined not to give him was chocolate.  When I say "determined", I really mean that when he was a newborn, so fresh, clean, and perfect, I had decided that later on I wouldn't give it to him.  It's just another example of how much I didn't know...  If your kid is watching you eat chocolate, as you enjoy its rich, creamy, velvety flavour explosion, you're going to share.  As much as you're going to want to have the stick to not give it to them, you're going to want them to love it just as much as you are in that moment.  And they will.  :o)  After that, they know what it is, and what they're missing, so they're going to pester you for more, every time you eat it in front of them.  So begins what we'll refer to as "The Chocolate - Eating Continuum." 


I don't remember when I relaxed my laws on eating.  I guess it was some time in there when Eli was being a monster and I gave him something to quieten him down.  Maybe it was after he fell and hurt himself, or hit his head on something... I can't remember... All I know is that I did.  I'm not completely stupid, mind you.  I learnt my lesson after a crappy few days with him.  He'd had an inordinately large amount of unhealthy foods, and I realised that if he doesn't eat correctly, (I knew this, but had never experienced it first hand, ie. with MY child..) he turns into a MAJOR pain in the butt.  He cries heaps, is prone to the dreaded tanty, won't sleep, and is just plain old peeved.  That was a great lesson to learn, since I felt a little invincible to the deadly "preservative and sugar overload".. 


Anyway...


That's it from me for a little while... Until next time... :o)


A. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment