Thursday 10 December 2009

***Monster Children***

I hate naughty kids.  I can't stand them!  I tend to avoid them, as do, I'm sure, many people.

I encountered one such demonic child today, and it took every ounce of self control not to turn all mummy on this kid.  She had it coming to her - and when I say "it", I refer to a roundhouse kick to the head (not literally, of course, cos that's horrible..)

Anyway, this kid was full on screaming at her mother.  The ability she had to switch the tears and temper on and off was truly enviable.  But then, it occurred to me, that this mother had created her daughter that way for whatever stupid reason she'd made up in her head.  Maybe it was cos she was disciplined too much as a child, perhaps it was because she wasn't - we'll never know.  But I felt sorry for this kid, who is going to grow up a brat.  She's never going to know what it's like for people just to do stuff for her cos she's sweet, or for her to have friends that love her for who she is, not how she'll react if they "dump" her.

I guess every parent starts out thinking "my kids are never going to be like that"...  and I am one of those parents ... but at some point along the way, it's like a decision is made that changes the course of your life.  I understand it I suppose.  Some things aren't that cut and dried, so you decide to err on the side of caution and not discipline but instead, just divert attention, or soothe.  But then, those moments keep happening, and before you know it, your kid's a monster.  It's insidious and sneaky, but I guess that's what happens.  No one would choose for their child to be despicable.

I just hope that I don't have my "kid" coloured glasses on when it comes to my children.  Nothing would be worse than having such a beautiful child, and then ruining him with misguided love.

It's hard to know... but I sure as hell am gonna try!

A. xo

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! Lol.

    Now when I see crying little babies in the shops I feel sorry for the parents, instead of rolling my eyes and trying to avoid them as I used to.

    I have this fear that Vin will be a brat, because he chucked tantrums since he was 4 months old. Or what I equate to a tantrum. I know they can't be real ones, because he can't communicate with me properly yet, but you know what I mean!

    Today I learnt that Vincent understands the word NO. I was quite happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work Vin!! Yeah, Eli knows exactly what no means, just chooses to ignore it... so he gets little slaps on his hand sometimes.. Mind you, that doesn't work either... :o(

    ReplyDelete